An Overview of Addiction in Florida
Marijuana is the most commonly cited drug among primary drug treatment admissions in Florida, followed by other opiates (including prescription drugs). The issues of drug abuse in Florida, like in many other states, involve a mix of drugs including synthetic designer drugs, prescription pain killers, heroin and more.
Florida has the 11th highest drug overdose mortality rate in the United States, with 16.4 per 100,000 people suffering drug overdose fatalities. The number of drug overdose deaths in Florida, a majority of which were from prescription drugs, doubled since 1999 when the rate was 6.4 per 100,000.
Key Substance Abuse Problems in Florida
- Cocaine is still the drug of choice throughout Florida. Cocaine problems in South Florida continued to be at the highest rates in the U.S. through 2013, as deaths caused by the drug rose statewide. Cocaine HC1, which is cocaine with hydrochloride, is the form of cocaine that is most in demand in Florida.
- Miami is the gateway into the U.S. for most heroin. The drug is widely available throughout Florida, especially in the central and southern parts of the state. Heroin use is high in the Orlando area and continues to be a growing problem.
- In certain communities, heroin has been found to be laced with fentanyl, a prescription pain pill that when mixed with heroin, can have deadly consequences. Fentanyl has been found to be up to 50 times more potent than heroin and tends to produce significant respiratory depression.
- Marijuana remains the number one primary substance for addiction treatment in Broward County and ranks second after alcohol in Miami-Dade and third in Palm Beach County, behind alcohol and prescription opioids.
- In 2014, Florida came close to legalizing marijuana, but the vote fell just shy of the 60 percent needed to make any changes to the state’s constitution. United for Care, the same group that push for that amendment in 2014, plans to try again in the 2016 elections.
- Benzodiazepines in general and specifically alprazolam (Xanax®) continue as a substantial problem in Southeastern Florida, particularly when used non-medically in combination with other pharmaceuticals, alcohol and illicit drugs.
- Crystal meth use is still a considerable problem in Florida. The purity of crystal meth is around 80 percent and it has been appearing in nightclubs in the Southern part of the state.
Finding the Best Addiction Treatment in Florida
If you or a loved one is ready to conquer an addiction to drugs or alcohol, recovery is possible. Whether you live in Florida or elsewhere, recoveryas.com can give you or your loved one the resources necessary to make a turnaround into lifelong sobriety. At no cost to you, recoveryas.com will provide essential information about addiction treatment centers nationwide to ease the process of getting help.
If your insurance coverage is with one of the following companies, recoveryas.com can help you find the help you need. We can work with any PPO coverage and also offer affordable self-pay and financing options for addiction treatment.
|Cigna||Aetna||Anthem Blue Cross|
|Health Partners||Coventry Health Care||United Health Group|
|Value Options||Care Resources||GEHA|
If you want more information about our services or are looking for drug or alcohol addiction treatment for yourself or a loved one, give us a call today at 1 (877) 968-6283.