An Overview of Addiction in Kansas
Even in a place like Kansas, where teens has reported using drugs or alcohol at a much lower rate than the national average, we are seeing an increase in deaths caused by drug overdoses. Although Kansas has the eighth lowest drug overdose mortality rate in the United States, with 9.6 per 100,000 people suffering drug overdose fatalities the number of drug overdose deaths has doubled since 1999 when the rate was 3.4 per 100,000.
The drug that is of the most concern in Kansas is methamphetamine followed closely by crack cocaine and then alcohol. Heroin use is low, but like much of the U.S., the numbers are rising. Doctors in the metro area say heroin addiction is surging to dangerous levels in the suburbs where people have more money and more access to heroin.
Key Substance Abuse Issues in Kansas
- Most of the meth and cocaine that is imported into Kansas is transported through the rural areas in the eastern side of the state.
- According to the Kansas Department for Children and Families, in about one-fifth of the 252 cases statewide last year, parental substance abuse, including meth, was the primary reason children were removed from homes. There were 50 total removals for this very reason by the end of 2014.
- During the 2015 legislative session, two bills were sponsored to create a medical marijuana system. The identical bills that would have allowed patients to safely access and use medical cannabis, but both bills were defeated.
- Twelve heroin deaths were reported for 2012 by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, representing a marked rise for the state. Between 1999 and 2007, Kansas recorded anywhere from zero to two deaths in any single year.
- Kansas’ percentage (8.1 percent) of heavy alcohol use among adults aged 21 or older was higher than the national percentage (6.8 percent) in 2009-2013.
Finding Addiction Help in Kansas
If you or someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol in Kansas and you want to live a clean and sober life again, help is just a phone call away. Call us at 1 (877) 968-6283 now to share your story with one of the caring addiction specialists at recoveryas.com. They will match you with the best drug rehab for your situation and you’ll soon be on your way to lifelong abstinence. And we will never charge you for our services.
If your insurance coverage is with one of the following companies, recoveryas.com can help you find the help you need. We can work with any PPO coverage and also offer affordable self-pay and financing options for addiction treatment.