Dave Franco and Abby Jacobson star in new Netflix original, a father broadcasts telling his son his mother died of heroin overdose, and Obama talks the heroin epidemic with Macklemore for “Prescription for Change: Ending America’s Opioid Crisis” all in this week’s roundup of substance addiction news stories.
1. A new study has found that the risk for alcoholism is associated with impulsivity or what is referred to as “sensation seeking” in adolescents.
2. Yet another collection by Italian designer brand, Moschino, has caused controversy in the fashion and substance addiction recovery worlds alike. Aptly named the “Capsule Collection SS17”, the line features pieces such as an oversized prescription bottle handbag and many other drug-inspired dresses, bags, and accessories. After the line has received backlash for glamourizing prescription drug abuse, luxury retail store Nordstrom has pulled the collection from the sales floor and their website.
3. A new documentary from MTV, titled “Prescription For Change: Ending America’s Opioid Crisis” features award-winning musician Macklemore and President Barack Obama.
4. The United States opioid crisis is about to get a new spotlight thanks to the upcoming Netflix original 6 Balloons. The drama film stars Dave Franco, younger brother of actor James Franco, and Abbi Jacobson from the Comedy Central series Broad City.
5. We can all agree that this election season has been anything but ordinary and that’s why it’s so important to get the facts straight. Where does each of our candidates stand on the substance addiction issue? Our friend, Kelly Fitzgerald, wrote about it this week on Addiction Unscripted so you can make the most educated decision based on the facts and your morals.
6. Paris’ Gare du Nord is the newest city to open a supervised injection clinic. It’s a major transit hub for thousands of residents but it’s also a hot spot for drugs like heroin. “They can come here, they can get
“They can come here, they can get counseling, they can get assistance, and get guided toward a life that will get them out of these addictions,” said the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo. Critics see it as a way not to help the problem, but to perpetuate it.
7. Everyone’s favorite Mad Man, Jon Hamm, opened up this week about his time rehab. The 45-year-old actor is very private (for someone in Hollywood) and has managed to keep his personal matters separate from his life in the spotlight. He went into rehab for alcohol abuse back 2015 and said he “found it very helpful.”
8. President Obama has shortened the sentences of another 102 drug offenders, many of whom were meant to serve a life sentence. Since being in office, he has granted 774 executive commutations to non-violent drug offenders – more than the past 11 presidents combined.
9. An Ohio man took to social media this week when he has to break the news to his son that his mother had died of a heroin overdose. The controversial video went viral with over 27 million views in just a couple of days.
10. As the overdose death rates continue to rise across the country, heroin laced with Carfentanil continues to be a big player. More batches were found to be linked to 19 overdoses in Wayne County, Michigan this week.