What is the Drug Situation in West Virginia?
Prescription drug abuse is the fastest growing drug problem in the nation and West Virginia has been especially hit hard. With the highest rate of unemployment out of all 50 states at 7.3 percent, the Mountain State also has the highest drug-induced death rate in the U.S.. Opiates, including prescription drugs, are the most commonly cited drugs among primary drug treatment admissions in the state.
Quick Facts on Substance Abuse in West Virginia
- Nine of every ten overdose deaths have prescription drugs as a sole or contributing cause of death. At nearly 34 deaths per 100,000 people – more than twice the national average – 90 percent of these deaths since 2011 have been caused by heroin and prescription pain pills.
- The number of drug overdose deaths – a majority of which are from prescription drugs – in West Virginia increased by 605 percent since 1999 when the rate was 4.1 per 100,000. Nationally, rates have doubled in 29 states since 1999, quadrupled in four of these states and tripled in 10 more.
- West Virginia scored eight out of 10 on a new policy report card of promising strategies to help curb prescription drug abuse.
- There were about 34 drug overdose deaths per 100,000 West Virginia residents from 2011-13, up dramatically from 22 deaths per 100,000 people in 2007-09.
- A recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that hepatitis C cases across four Appalachian states – Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia – more than tripled between 2006 and 2012.
Find Treatment for Drug or Alcohol Addiction in West Virginia
If you or a loved one are suffering from substance abuse addiction in West Virginia, whether your drug of choice is heroin, cannabis, cocaine, prescription painkillers or alcohol, now is the time for you to think about admission to a drug treatment program.
The compassionate addiction specialists at recoveryas.com will help you find the treatment program that will lead you or your loved one back to a life of sobriety. Take the first step toward a fulfilling life by calling us toll free today at 1 (877) 968-6283.
If your insurance coverage is with one of the following companies, recoveryas.com will assist you in finding the help you need. We can work with any PPO coverage and also offer affordable self-pay and financing options for addiction treatment.
Recoveryas.com will never charge you a fee for our placement services, so call 1 (877) 968-6283 now to speak with one of our caring addiction specialists about treatment options in West Virginia or wherever you prefer to be.